Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Empty House

I can’t remember the last time that I was this tired.  My feet are dragging as I trudge up the walkway and my mind has so many thoughts swirling around that I don’t even remember pulling into the driveway or opening my front door. 

I probably shouldn’t even drive when I am this distracted but then how would I get away from that hellhole of an office?  Something has to change soon…..  the stress is killing me.  Mr. Edwards was an absolute bear, growling at everyone; especially me.  If only I hadn’t reversed the numbers in that journal entry, I might have escaped his notice.   

Instead I ended up in the bathroom sobbing with Jenny trying to comfort me with her funny impersonations of the boss man.  It almost worked. 

I absently open the hall closet to deposit my coat and stop dead in my tracks.  It’s empty.  Where are the jackets, boots, shoes and other paraphenalia that usually clutter this closet?  I look around and realize that the welcome mat isn’t under my feet.  Where is the mirror where I check my lipstick before I walk out each morning? 

Have I been robbed?  Who would steal these things? 

It isn’t just these inconsequential things though.  Looking into my living room I can see that it is bare.  My couch, my coffee table, my pictures, TV, everything is gone!  It’s the same story in the bedroom and kitchen; not even a crumb is left and both rooms are cleaner than I’ve ever managed to keep them.  My toothbrush isn’t even in the bathroom. 

I’m so stunned that I can’t even process this.  It’s definitely my house; I can see my favourite cherry tree in full spring bloom outside the kitchen window.   

I should call the police but there is no phone and patting my pockets, I realize that I must have left my cell phone out in the car.  As I turn to head out there, I hear a key turning in the front door lock and freeze.  Have the robbers come back?  That’s crazy, there’s nothing left to come back for! 

A pretty woman in a nice business suit walks into my house followed by a middle-aged couple.  They are talking about what a nice area this is.  Right, an area where people’s homes get emptied while they are gone!   

Now she’s showing them the living room, still going on about community amenities and tax rates and they are completely ignoring me.  Then the husband asked why the current owner had moved. 

“It’s such a sad story.  The young woman who owned this house was driving during that last blizzard we had when her employer called her on her cell phone.  The call distracted her from the road and, well ……. as I said, it’s a sad thing” 

Maybe I really shouldn’t have been driving. 


2 comments:

  1. That is CHILLING! Well written. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Betsy! I really appreciate the encouragement :)

      Delete